What is Branding?
I guess the first time you become aware of branding is when you are a kid watching a cowboy branding a cow with the sign of the ranch it belongs to…
Nowadays the concept of branding isn’t just a mark of ownership its far more complex. It is a way of creating demand and desire and guaranteeing the quality of your product. Your loyalty to a brand can make you feel good about yourself. It shows others what good taste you have and leaves them aspiring to have your lifestyle.
Branding is not just limited to products, Since globalisation companies have been moving towards branding themselves in order to expand their market share. Whole countries, cities and people have latched on to the idea that they can create an identity, a sense of meaning and belonging that people want to be part of.
So put simply, what you need to be doing is creating a visual and verbal style that people identify with because it imprints on their minds a set of ideas that your company or products represent. This could be based on quality, reliability, performance, trustworthiness, service etc.
To create a successful brand
- Always start with the the customer. What do they need? How can you provide a better service or product than what’s already available?
- Employ the right people even if they are smarter than you. Make sure they share your vision and encourage them to innovate.
- Actively think ahead and outside the box. What’s your industry’s next move? Are you ahead of your game? Where will your business be in 5 years?
- Keep it simple. Keep the main thing, the main thing. What is the core feature or function of your brand? How can you simplify it?
- Its not always about money. How can you make money that will benefit your customers and the wider community?
Resist the urge to copy another company’s branding. Sooner or later it will catch up with you…
For more articles in this series, read our blog.
I hate to say “I told you so” but…